how to build your own house
There is some of the same fitness in a man's building his own house that there is in a bird's building its own nest. Henry David Thoreau
- Personal Qualities: Can I plan and produce evidence of learning?
- Social Responsibilities: explore the psychology of human behavior.
- Communication: comprehend, analyze and synthesize text.
- Design Process: make observations, collect, analyze and present data.
- Design Application: Creatively apply mathematical skills to real-world situations.
Project Ideas (to be added to in class): create a model of a basic house, build a poster, create a house plan, research getting a building permit, research a specific construction project like building a deck, visit a building department and create video or slide show, research and present info on apprenticeship in trades, tiny house project.
Projected Time Line . Red indicates due dates
Day 1 . Introduction & overview: What tools do we need?. April 1, Monday
What about land? When will you build?
Day 2. Roof rafter, window trim. April 3 Wednesday
Day 3. Roof Lookouts April 5, Friday
Day 4. Roofing. April 8, Monday
Project defined plus initial research started. Learning Plan includes: (Your guiding question--what you are trying to discover, what competencies you will be mastering, resources that can help you, resources you might need, help you may require.)
Day 5. Siding April 10, Wednesday
Day 6 Plumbing April 12, Fiday
Day 7 . Plumb/Wiring April 22, Monday
Day 8 . Wiring April 24, Wednesday
Day 9 Sheetrock April 26 Friday
Day 10 Cabinets & Trim. Monday, Aopril 27
Day 11 . Exhibition & Reflection
Portfolio Presentation Schedule
Blower Door Test